Are you looking for the fastest way to positively influence decision makers, taxpayers, voters and the public at large? Are you tired of seeing and hearing only “bad news” on television, radio, newspapers and magazines. Do you think “publicity” is a dirty word, yet you know your agency has good news and wonderful stories that could and should be shared with the world? This workshop will give you valuable tips to put your agency on the front pages and on local, regional or even national news and talk show.
Needs Assessment: Many park and recreation agencies have been victims of negative publicity. A new journalistic trend called “Solutions Journalism” has opened up avenues for those park and recreation organizations who understand how to “Broadcast the Benefits” of their programs, services and activities. Every agency, no matter what size, must learn how to use the power of the media to meet their goals and improve public perception.
Duration: 1.25 or 3.25 hours
You will learn:
- Ways to build solid relationships with local and national journalists, editors and program directors
- How to write and format news releases that get printed and aired, not lost or thrown away
- How to compile a media list to meet specific agency needs
- The best ways to communicate with press contacts - mail, fax or e mail
- Ways to get the press to call you for “good news and feature stories.”
Session Format: Lecture, small group discussion, audience participation
Target Audience: All
CEU Session: Yes
Speaker: Jodi Rudick
Equipment: VCR/TV, Flip Chart, LCD Projector